Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Meatball Parm!

Hello and happy mid-week everybody!

This weekend was kind of  disappointing. I was all hyped up to see the Northern Lights because apparently, according to a map floating around Facebook, we here in New Jersey were in a prime spot to see them. And everyone knows that if its on Facebook, it must be true, right? Right??

So needless to say, that didn't happen. Which only means that I'll have to plan a trip up to some northern locale in the future to see this phenomenon, yet another thing to add to my bucket list, I guess. :-)

Something good did come out of this weekend, though. I finally got to see "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", which for a J.R.R. Tolkien geek like me, is super awesome. But that's not what I meant, when I said good. I meant that I found a kick-ass meatball parm recipe and it tasted better than I imagined.

Here's the recipe from my favorite low-carb food blog:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2013/03/low-carb-meatballs-alla-parmigiana.html

The only thing I did differently is to double the ingredients because I wanted leftovers for Sunday night. That's a big commitment to make when you're trying a recipe for the first time, but the blog I found the recipe on has never let me down, so I committed to a double dose and I wish I had made more to freeze and enjoy later in the week again. Yes, it was that good. (The only thing I did differently was to use ground beef that was 85/15 because I really didn't want a lot of fat, and I put them in the oven instead of frying them.)

I also made a run to Bed Bath and Beyond for one of these:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=16559512&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CK-2rKXn0bYCFQLxOgodrV4AaA

Because I found a recipe for zucchini noodles. Yes, noodles, guys. I haven't touched a noodle, spaghetti, macaroni or anything similar since September 2012 and this recipe caught my attention really quickly.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/5695132949/zucchini-spaghetti-zoodles-meatballs

This is so simple really. I julienned the zucchini, placed the noodles in a colander and added a little bit of salt and let then sit there for 20 minutes so the excess water could be squeezed out.  I planned to pair these with the meatballs so I kept the seasonings kind of basic. I sauteed some garlic in a pan with olive oil and then added the noodles for 2-4 minutes so they could get some flavor. Top off with some black pepper and voila! Noodles. (When you are ready to make them, gently (GENTLY) squeeze the noodles before putting them in a pan.)

So that was dinner on Saturday AND Sunday because it all tasted soooo good. :-)

If you make this, let me know how it came out and by the way, you're welcome! :-)











No comments:

Post a Comment