Thursday, April 11, 2013

Taco Salad

Hey folks, hope you all are well out there :-)

In my first post, I mentioned giving credit where credit is due and I just wanted to take a moment to give props (look, I can talk "street") to my husband. He's the one that got us both started on low carb and he's the mastermind behind this next recipe. So, thanks, Hubs, you're the best :-)

Okay, so enough with the sap. This recipe has become a standard for us, meaning we eat this once a week. Its easy, delicious, and did I mention easy? :-)

Here are your ingredients:
1.5 lbs of ground beef (I prefer leaner meat, so I usually buy 85% or 90% lean beef)
Scallions
Peppers
Garlic
Mushrooms
Taco seasoning
Mexican blend shredded cheese

For the salad:
Lettuce (any kind you want, really)
Scallions

Brown the beef in a small pot or skillet until it is mostly done. If you feel like there is too much fat, drain it.
Cut your lettuce and scallions, mix together in a large bowl and set it aside. Like the scallop salad from last week, I don't dress the salad with anything because the oils from the meat will be more than enough to coat the lettuce.

In a wok or large skillet, warm up some olive oil and add some garlic and scallions. Add the mushrooms and peppers and saute them a little before adding the beef. While that's cooking, add your spices. Don't go nuts on the salt or the taco seasoning. I tend to use 1/3 of the envelope of taco seasoning, a few dashes of salt and some cayenne pepper. But feel free to do things according to your own tastes. :-)

Spread some of the shredded cheese over the salad, and when the meat is done, pour that on top of the cheese and lettuce. Add some more cheese on top and a dollop of sour cream and dig in! The leftovers are great the next day, too :-)













No comments:

Post a Comment