Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pizza, Pizza...mostly.


One of the things I missed most when I started Atkins back in September 2012 was pizza. I live in Northern NJ, and as anybody that also lives around here will tell you, we have some pretty kickass pizza. So yeah, I missed wolfing down a slice (or 4) of hot, greasy, toppings-falling-off-because-who-can-wait-for-it-to-cool-down-and-ow-I-burned-my-mouth-but-who-cares Italian delight. So after pining (aka whining) about not having any, I did a search online for low-carb pizza and I found this:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/zero-carb-flax-meal-pizza-crust.html

On a side note, I absolutely LOVE the blog where I found this recipe. The woman that writes this blog is a culinary genius, for me, anyway.

The only thing I changed was the tomato sauce. Aside from the fact that tomato sauce has a bunch of carbs that I just don't want, I feel like it would serve to make the crust a little soggy, so I just don't put any on. The result is amazing, really filling and perfect for those nights (like last night, actually) where I really didn't feel like putting much effort into cooking anything :-) Oh, and I just used whatever toppings I had in the house already. The best thing about this recipe (like so many others from that site) is that you can really play around with the ingredients.

Here's a breakdown of how much this cost to make, with the ingredients I wound up using, because low carb can get really pricey.

1 16 oz package of Bob's Red Mill Ground Flax Meal: $2.69 (this week @ A&P)
Parmesan Cheese $5.00
1 package of shredded mozzarella $2.50
Pre-cooked Bacon $2.99
1 bunch scallions $.79
1 small can of mushrooms $.80
18  large eggs $2.79
Red peppers (I didn't have any fresh ones in the fridge, so I used the pre-sliced kind in a jar) $2.50

That's what all the ingredients cost. And now here's the total cost for the pizza:

Flax meal (1 cup) $.67
Parmesan Cheese $1.50 (give or take)
Eggs (2) $.30
Mozzarella cheese: $2.50
Mushrooms $.40
Bacon $.75
Scallions $.27
Peppers $.45

There you have it, folks. A really filling meal for 2 (my husband and I can really put it away :-)) for $4.34. Not too shabby, right?

Is it the same as "real pizza"? No, not by a long shot. But it takes the edge off and tastes great, so that's always a good thing. Let me know what you think by posting a comment below :-)

Ready to go into the oven.

After about 12 minutes in the oven.

Add the cheese. 

Ready to bake.


15 minutes later.




Dinner is served. 



No comments:

Post a Comment